Monday, September 17, 2007

Clayton to Mammoth Cave National Park, Ky


Yep, that's right. Rode from Clayton to Mammoth Cave NP, 585 miles on Sunday, 9/15. A good ride--weather was close to perfect. Wore the bumblebee; decided that I'd wear it for the entire trip. Had hoped for cooler weather, but according to weather.com, it's going to be hot much of the week in Missouri. I'm so looking forward to cooler weather!

The ride was a mixture of slab and back roads. I had created a route on the computer and downloaded it to the GPS, but for some unknown reason, the route did not transfer correctly. Maybe the fact that the versions of maps on the computer and the GPS were different was the reason??? Anyway, I had to do it unplanned and it worked out okay.

Am going to try to not eat at chain restaurants on the trip. "Feasting on Asphalt" has me fired up to eat at small local eateries, so I plan to do that unless there's no option. Had lunch in Boone at a small fish restaurant. Very good! Great choice. Had dinner at the only place (non-chain) open in Cave City, Ky. Can't remember the name. It was fair... I was actually too tired and it was late, so I didn't care if it was good or not.

Got to MCNP just before dark. Rode to the campground (ranger station closed) and figured out how to get a site (claim one and fill out an envelope with cash to leave in the lockbox). Put up the tent (ground was hard as a rock (maybe it was rock!)) and I couldn't get the stakes very deep in the ground. Was afraid the tent would fall overnight, the stakes were so shallow.

At dark, the tent was up, the mat inside the tent, and the air mattress blown up. Got hot and sweaty.

Then rode into Cave City (about 10 miles away) for some grub. The ride was uneventful except for all the deer on the side of the road. They stayed put, so there was no problem.

Got back to the campsite and got ready for bed. At 9:30pm, I turned out the lights and crashed for the night.

Tomorrow-on to Missouri.

1 comment:

Adrian said...

Sounds pretty good so far! I think everywhere is pretty dry. I like your idea of not eating at chain restaurants while you are away.

Good luck! I hope you are enjoying your new ride.

Love ya
Adrian